IRCTC Ticket Cancellation and Refund Rules: All You Need to Know
You must have sometimes felt stuck in situations where you have to cancel your train journey or postpone it due to various reasons. And most of us are aware of the train ticket cancellation that IRCTC offers, however many of us still may not be familiar with the process, the charges IRCTC levies on a ticket cancellation, and the refund rules thereafter.
Hence, to simplify things and to make people aware of the IRCTC ticket cancellation and refund policy, we have listed below everything that you need to know about the same.
IRCTC Ticket Cancellation Rules for Counter Booked Tickets
- Cancellation through Passenger Railway Counter: Tickets booked from passenger railway stations (PRS) can be canceled on the counter itself.
- Cancellation Online via IRCTC Website: Tickets booked through counters can be canceled online on www.irctc.co.in. and the refund can be collected on the Railway Counters after submitting your original booked ticket.
IRCTC Ticket Refund Rules for Confirmed Tickets
IRCTC offers two types of ticket cancellation and refund policy for confirmed tickets- Before Chart Preparation and After Chart Preparation.
Refund Rules for Tickets before Chart Preparation
Ticket cancellation and refund for the tickets before chart preparation depend on the time of your ticket cancellation. Indian Railways rules and policies for the same are listed below:
- 48 Hours Before the Journey- Refund is given to the passengers after a deduction of the following amount:
- AC First Class or Executive Class: Rs. 240
- AC 2- tier OR First Class: Rs. 200
- AC 3-tier, AC Chair Car or AC 3 Economy: Rs. 180
- Sleeper Class: Rs. 120
- Second Class: Rs. 60
- Between 48 hours - 12 hours: 25% is deducted from the base amount of the ticket and then the refund is allotted.
- Between 12 hours - 4 hours: 50% is deducted from the base amount of the ticket and then the refund is allotted
- After 4 hours or the train has departed: No refund
Refund Rules for Tickets After Chart Preparation
- The ticket cannot be canceled after the chart preparation. According to IRCTC users need to file a TDR ( Ticket Deposit Receipt) for a refund in such cases. IRCTC has provided an online tracking system to provide the passengers to check the refund and the status of the same.
- However, a refund on ticket cancellation is not applicable if the TDR is filed 4 hours up to the scheduled departure of the train.
- The passengers need to note that the refund request on TDR may take up to 60 days or more to process the amount.
To File a TDR:
- Visit www.irctc.co.in and select- File Ticket Deposit Receipt under the menu
- Enter the ticket details and verify your account credentials.
- You will get the refund in the same account by IRCTC
IRCTC Ticket Refund Rules for RAC Tickets
- The refund can be processed for RAC tickets if the ticket cancellation is done 30 minutes before the departure of the train
- TDR must be filed 30 minutes before the departure of the train to get a refund.
IRCTC Ticket Refund Rules for Waitlisted Tickets
- E-tickets that are waitlisted can get a refund up to 30 minutes before the train departure, after deducting a cancellation fee of Rs.60 per passenger.
- If your ticket is waitlisted after the chart preparation, then according to IRCTC you are subjected to a full refund that is automatically processed by IRCTC.